Re: RAID5 (mdadm) array hosed after grow operation

On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 09:17:46 +1100, "Neil Brown" <neilb@suse.de> said:
> On Monday January 5, jpiszcz@lucidpixels.com wrote:
> > cc linux-raid
> >
> > On Mon, 5 Jan 2009, whollygoat@letterboxes.org wrote:

[snip]

> > > The RAID reassembled fine at each boot as the drives
> > > were replaced one by one.  After the last drive was
> > > partitioned and added to the array, I issued the
> > > command
> > >
> > >   "mdadm -G /dev/md/0 -z max"

[snip]

> You cannot grow an array with an active bitmap... or at least you
> shouldn't be able to.  Maybe 2.6.18 didn't enforce that.  Maybe that
> is what caused the problem - not sure.

I've decided to swap the smaller drives back in and start the upgrade
process over again.  Seems that might be the fastest way to fix the
problem.

How should I have done the grow operation if not as above?  The only
thing I see in man mdadm is the "-S" switch which seems to disassemble
the array.  Maybe this is because I've only tried it on the degraded
array this problem has left with.  At any rate, after

    mdadm -S /dev/md/0

running

    mdadm -D /dev/md/0

gave me an error something to the effect the array didn't exist or
couldn't be found or something like that.

Or maybe do I need to add "--bitmap=none" to remove the bitmap
when running the above grow command?

Hope you can help,

Thanks

goat