Re: RAID5 (mdadm) array hosed after grow operation

On Wed, Jan 07, 2009 at 08:19:05PM -0800, whollygoat@letterboxes.org wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 09:17:46 +1100, "Neil Brown" <neilb@suse.de> said:

[snip]

> How should I have done the grow operation if not as above?  The only
> thing I see in man mdadm is the "-S" switch which seems to disassemble
> the array.  Maybe this is because I've only tried it on the degraded
> array this problem has left with.  At any rate, after
>
>     mdadm -S /dev/md/0

[snip]

> Hope you can help,

Hi

I have grown raid5 arrays either by disk number or disk size, I have
only ever used --grow and never used the -z option

I would re copy the info over from the small drives to the large drives
(if you can have all the drives in at one time that might be better.

increase the partition size and then run --grow on the array. I have
done this going from 250G -> 500G -> 750g -> 1T. although when I have
done it, I fail one drive and then add the new drive, expand the
partition size and re add it back into the array, once I have done all
the drives I then ran the grow.