Re: Alex Samad Re: RAID5 (mdadm) array hosed after grow operation

On Fri, 09 Jan 2009 10:45:56 +0000, "John Robinson"
<john.robinson@anonymous.org.uk> said:
> On 09/01/2009 02:41, whollygoat@letterboxes.org wrote:
> > But anyway, I don't think that is going to matter.  The issue I am
> > trying to
> > solve is how to de-activate the bitmap. It was suggested on the
> > linux-raid
> > list that my problem may have been caused by running the grow op on an
> > active
> > bitmap and I can't see from "man mdadm" how to de-activate the bit map.
>
> man mdadm tells me:
> [...]
> -b, --bitmap=
>      Specify a file to store a write-intent bitmap in. The file should
> not exist unless --force is also given. The same file should be provided
> when assembling the array. If the word internal is given, then the
> bitmap is stored with the metadata on the array, and so is replicated on
> all devices. If the word none is given with --grow mode, then any bitmap
> that is present is removed.
>
> So I imagine you'd want to
>    # mdadm --grow /dev/mdX --bitmap=none
> to de-activate the bitmap.

The question that came to mind when I read that in the docs,
was how to recreate the bitmap on an already created array
after nuking it with "none".

I guess I also had doubts because the reply I had a few iterations
back didn't say that I shouldn't have performed the grow operation
on an existant bitmap, but an active one, and I wasn't prepared to
make the leap from active/inactive to existant/non-existant.

But, this has all become moot anyway.  When I put the original, smaller
drives back in, hoping to do the grow op overagain, I was faced with a
similar problem assembling the array, so I'm guessing the problem
caused by something other than the grow.  I put the larger drives in,
zeroed them, and am in the process of recreating the array and
file systems to be populated from backups.

Thanks for the input.

goat
--

  whollygoat@letterboxes.org