Re: tp_smapi config

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 17:27:55 -0400
tyler <tyler.smith@mail.mcgill.ca> wrote:

> Micha Feigin <michf@post.tau.ac.il> writes:

> > modprobe tp_smapi
>
> > and if you want it to load automatically at startup you will want to
> > do as root
> > echo tp_smapi >> /etc/modules
> >

> Thanks!
>
> Is this a documentation bug, or is it something that we should
> reasonably assume a new user of tp-smapi should know? Or maybe there's
> no bug, just something I misunderstood in the tp-smapi docs at
> think-wiki? Usually debian packages install themselves in such a way
> that they start working without further tweaking.

It's an issue with kernel modules. They need to be loaded to work and I guess
that it is assumed that you know that if you use package that install kernel
modules.

I'm guessing that it's the debian policy to force module loading on you, plus
there is not standard way AFAIK at the moment to handle package customized
module loading in /etc/modules

Most hardware related modules load automatically when the hardware is detected,
this doesn't happen with tp_smapi, I don't know if it can be made to work with
some alias entry in /etc/modprobe.d/ as I don't know if and how this hardware
is actually detected.