Re: OT: laptop recomendations

Micha Feigin wrote:
Hello,

Sorry for being a bit off topic but it's time for a new laptop that will run
linux solely and I'm looking for recomendation on what has a good build
quallity (will travel), descent battery life, although more important is good
computing power and a good screen at 15.4" (needs to be workable with the
screen) at a price range of around 1500$ rough ballpark. Good service is a must
since it's a working laptop.

I know that hp and compaq are a big no no (build quality is shaky at best).  I
also have the worst experience possible with Sony support on just about every
continent (haven't managed to run into worse).  Lenovo 3000 series also has a
bad track run at our uni in terms of build quallity, no experience with the
ideapad pad heard that they are not much brighter.

Currently the best candidates are the lenovo thinkpad series (either stick with
the older and probed t61 or go with the t500 or similar), mac (not sure about
the one button issue although the design is nice).

Runner up is Dell, although the hardware seems a bit cheap when looking at the
drivers (especially the touchpad which tends to be alps which isn't up to par
with the synaptic).

Toshiba local dealers didn't prove themselves with a friends laptop.

Can't find anyone with experience with lg and fujitsu.

Will be happy for feedback/experience/hardware trouble/Service experience in
case of mulfunciton etc.

Thanks

Well, I think you just asked "What is the best religion?" I like my Dell Vostro 1500. Sealed keyboard, titanium skeleton inside to prevent flex. Vostros can't be docked but Latitudes can be and have those very same features. With my 9 cell battery, I have battery for at least 5 hours (my power applet reports 7 hours, but I never trim the brightness and such things to archive that.) It is big, bulky, heavy. It also is tough. All version of Linux (that I tried) runs just fine.

Mine is running Debian Testing right now. I also have the Dell wireless (which is a broadcom) and had no problem in getting it to work. Watch out for getting the Intel wireless, you need to make sure that it is not a newer one not supported (happened to a friend who got a 1700). It is pretty, like a tank or an attach aircraft is pretty, built to take abuse. I have no problems with it.

OTHO, my friend purchased a 1700 from Dell's refurbed site. It had stability issues and after many calls to Dell, they had him ship it back. A week later he got it back and the wireless would not work (it appears to have been the wrong one installed). Dell had him ship it back for more work. Now here is the Good news. Two week later, they shipped him a brand new Vostro 1700, with a HD upgrade to 300GB (from 100GB) at no charge. So: You can get great deals from Dells refurbished site, they seem to stand behind warranty issues.

IMHO, stop looking at Consumer grade laptops, look at business class machines. For Dell that is the Vostro, Latitude, Precision and XPS Laptops.

HTH!

Damon Chesser
damon@damtek.com