Re: OT: laptop recomendations

I don't know about your fancy laptops that you have in the first
world, but here in Brazil I use an HP Pavillion dv1000 at work, and
the thing survived everything bad that could happen to an electronic
device (including being plugged in 380 Volt).
Also, my girlfriend has bought herself an Acer Aspire (not the One),
and, so far, we had no problems with it.

Or, you can go with my personal choice, and buy an EEE Pc :-) (ok, I
know, it got no big screen and no processing power, but runs Debian
with Gnome really well and cover all my needs for the moment)