Re: OT: laptop recomendations

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 21:24:35 -0500
Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 23:39:26 -0200
> "Ismael Scalcon" <thesupermouse@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Also, my girlfriend has bought herself an Acer Aspire (not the One),
> > and, so far, we had no problems with it.
>
> I've been using an Acer (Aspire 3690) for about two years with no
> problems yet, but I baby it; I've never dropped it, spilled anything
> into it, sat on it, etc.  The battery life is quite low, only about an
> hour and a half when new, but I nearly always use it on AC.  [Tangent:
> my impression is that that will help preserve the battery life, as
> charge / discharge cycles reduce it.  Is this true?]

Not completely, what newer batteries hate is heat, over and under charging. If
it's always plugged in it may kill the battery rather quickly. What I have on
my current thinkpad is the ability to stop charging before 100% and that can
add quite a bit of like to the battery.

A friend of mine as a lenovo 3000 (very bad track record with them with the
university staff), which was always plugged in and almost always on, the
battery is mostly dead in a year.