Re: oss and alsa and audio devices

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 11:14, H.S. <hs.samix@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

> BTW, reading your earlier post I also tried to setup PA ... and it
> worked (aplay -Dpulse foo.wav worked) ! However, from PA's wiki page it
> appears that it doesn't work with audacious yet and neither with
> audacity. I use both. Sound input to Skype was also choppy using
> pulseaudio. So I have disabled for now.

I do not know about audacious, but the new version of audacity (1.3.x)
works fine with PA. 1.3 is supposed to be a dev release, as opposed
to the stable 1.2 series, but it seems stable and a fair bit better than
1.2. 1.3 is in testing, but not stable.

Skype can be a problem, and we cannot fix the issues in Skype
since it is not Open Source. But I think the problems should be
less with the newest version, 0.9.13. Unfortunately, this is not in
Debian at all. I got it by going to the Ubuntu repos.

> Moreover, I have noticed that the ease of making the choice between
> installed sound systems also depends on what DE one is running. In
> Gnome, Pulseadio is specifically listed as one of the choice. Not in
> KDE's sound settings dialog box (Debian Testing, KDE 3.5.9), however

KDE3 can use it via PAs alsa emulation. Just select ALSA as opposed
to something else.

> it is also much easier in Gnome to select the output device for category
>of applications (system sounds, video, voice chat, etc.). Neat. Perhaps
> once the freeze is over, we can get newer version of KDE. KDE 4.x seems
> to have a better GUI for setting the sound preferences (give it a little
> look see on Ubuntu Intrepid).

KDE4 has phonon, which is a really nice audio wrapper layer. Much
better than the mess arts became.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers