Re: oss and alsa and audio devices

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 7:58 PM, H.S. <hs.samix@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ron Johnson wrote:
>>>
>>> Anyone?
>>
>> If your machine runs kernel 2.6, it shouldn't have OSS.
>>

> hmm ... ookay. Does that mean both are orthogonal? And, yes, I am
> running 2.6.

I am not sure that that is true. I think Debian 2.6 kernels still have
OSS modules enabled, in /lib/modules/2.6.26-1-686/kernel/sound/oss/,
although I would not expect them to load under normal conditions.

lsmod will list your loaded modules. snd_pcm_oss, snd_mixer_oss,
and snd_seq_oss, are all part of the alsa oss emulation.

As far as sound servers, dmix is all well and good, but I have
personally never seen it work correctly^W at all. I have seen
esd work, but not without crashes and other breakage. I do
not even want to talk about arts.

Although PA took a little work to setup, and has had some
problems, it has been by far the best for me (although there
are plenty on this list that will happily expound on their
negative experiences with PulseAudio).

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers