Re: oss and alsa and audio devices

Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 11/20/08 14:27, H.S. wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Could somebody give some insights in to how is OSS related to Alsa? When
>
> I hate to sound rude, but did you apply any effort in researching this
> yourself?

Yes, but it was a while ago. At that time, I must admit though, I knew
Alsa was new system than OSS, but for some reason which I do not recall
now, I had to have both. I tried to remove everything related to OSS my
sound wouldn't work. That is why I asked for insights or factors which
may not be obvious since I hardly believe the two systems' definitions
have changed.

>> a headset is connected via USB, how is it supposed to be detected, as an
>> OSS device or as a USB device?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Sound_System
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Sound_System#OSS_in_relation_to_ALSA
>
>    OSS is the standard up through the 2.4 series of official
>    (kernel.org) Linux kernels. ALSA was added starting with 2.5,
>    and in those versions, Linux kernel authors marked OSS as
>    deprecated.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Linux_Sound_Architecture
>
>     Advanced Linux Sound Architecture (known by the acronym ALSA)
>    is a Linux kernel component intended to replace the original Open
>    Sound System (OSS) for providing device drivers for sound cards.
>    Some of the goals of the ALSA project at its inception were
>    automatic configuration of sound-card hardware, and graceful
>    handling of multiple sound devices in a system, goals which it
>    has largely met.

hmm ... I wonder what "largely" means with respect to removing all of OSS.

>> And can I remove OSS in favor of Alsa?
>
> Yes.

This is what I am most interested in ... how exactly?

ever having been read.