Re: oss and alsa and audio devices

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 01:56, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> On 11/20/08 23:03, H.S. wrote:
>>
>> Kelly Clowers wrote:

>>> lsmod will list your loaded modules. snd_pcm_oss, snd_mixer_oss,
>>> and snd_seq_oss, are all part of the alsa oss emulation.
>>
>> Yes I have those same ones. dpkg also does not really list any relevant
>> *oss* package. However, I discovered I have linux-sound-base which
>> appears to provide oss. And in KDE's sound configuration gui, one of the
>> systems to choose from is OSS. To me it appears that I do have oss.
>> Hence the lack of any useful information from Ron's message where he
>> used the word "shouldn't".
>
> Here's a slightly different question: what makes you think that you *do*
> have OSS?
>
> Given that OSS has been deprecated for FIVE years, and I *VERY STRONGLY*
> doubt that the Debian Kernel Team have configured the OSS modules.  (I
> compile my own kernel from linux-source-2.6.xx, so I can't say for certain.)

I dug around and found the modinfo command...

$ sudo modinfo sound
filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.26-1-686/kernel/sound/oss/sound.ko
author:         Hannu Savolainen, et al.
<snip>

vs.

$ sudo modinfo snd-pcm-oss
filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.26-1-686/kernel/sound/acore/oss/snd-pcm-oss.ko
alias:          sound-service-?-12
alias:          sound-service-?-3
license:        GPL
<snip>

This is from kernel 2.6.26-1-686 in Sid.

H.S., you could run modinfo on any sound-related
modules from lsmod to verify that they are not OSS

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers