Re: oss and alsa and audio devices

Kelly Clowers wrote:

> I dug around and found the modinfo command...
>
> $ sudo modinfo sound
> filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.26-1-686/kernel/sound/oss/sound.ko
> author:         Hannu Savolainen, et al.
> <snip>
>
> vs.
>
> $ sudo modinfo snd-pcm-oss
> filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.26-1-686/kernel/sound/acore/oss/snd-pcm-oss.ko
> alias:          sound-service-?-12
> alias:          sound-service-?-3
> license:        GPL
> <snip>
>
> This is from kernel 2.6.26-1-686 in Sid.
>
> H.S., you could run modinfo on any sound-related
> modules from lsmod to verify that they are not OSS
>

> Cheers,
> Kelly Clowers

Excellent!

BTW, reading your earlier post I also tried to setup PA ... and it
worked (aplay -Dpulse foo.wav worked) ! However, from PA's wiki page it
appears that it doesn't work with audacious yet and neither with
audacity. I use both. Sound input to Skype was also choppy using
pulseaudio. So I have disabled for now.

Moreover, I have noticed that the ease of making the choice between
installed sound systems also depends on what DE one is running. In
Gnome, Pulseadio is specifically listed as one of the choice. Not in
KDE's sound settings dialog box (Debian Testing, KDE 3.5.9), however. It
is also much easier in Gnome to select the output device for category of
applications (system sounds, video, voice chat, etc.). Neat. Perhaps
once the freeze is over, we can get newer version of KDE. KDE 4.x seems
to have a better GUI for setting the sound preferences (give it a little
look see on Ubuntu Intrepid).

Thanks to you and also to Osamu, your posts have given me a much needed
understanding of these factor which affect the sound system.

Regards.

ever having been read.