Re: oss and alsa and audio devices

Kelly Clowers wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 7:58 PM, H.S. <hs.samix@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Ron Johnson wrote:
>>> If your machine runs kernel 2.6, it shouldn't have OSS.

> lsmod will list your loaded modules. snd_pcm_oss, snd_mixer_oss,
> and snd_seq_oss, are all part of the alsa oss emulation.

Yes I have those same ones. dpkg also does not really list any relevant
*oss* package. However, I discovered I have linux-sound-base which
appears to provide oss. And in KDE's sound configuration gui, one of the
systems to choose from is OSS. To me it appears that I do have oss.
Hence the lack of any useful information from Ron's message where he
used the word "shouldn't".

> As far as sound servers, dmix is all well and good, but I have
> personally never seen it work correctly^W at all. I have seen
> esd work, but not without crashes and other breakage. I do
> not even want to talk about arts.

I have aumix, kmix and xmix. I have no idea if all three are required.

> Although PA took a little work to setup, and has had some
> problems, it has been by far the best for me (although there
> are plenty on this list that will happily expound on their
> negative experiences with PulseAudio).

I tried to setup PA but the negative feedback I got from this list
indicated it wasn't ready yet to work out of the box. But from I hear
about its features, it does look look very interesting.

Regards.

ever having been read.