Re: oss and alsa and audio devices -- facts on Debian

Hi,

I agree that if you have modern system (bought new last 5 years or so),
you should be OK with ALSA.  But let's be more precise beyond this.

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 03:56:22AM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> Given that OSS has been deprecated for FIVE years, and I *VERY STRONGLY*
> doubt that the Debian Kernel Team have configured the OSS modules.  (I
> compile my own kernel from linux-source-2.6.xx, so I can't say for
> certain.)

Oh No No No !!!  I see them here :-)

Debian ships with all the options available to users.  It certainly comes
these compiled as modules since they do not conflict with others just by
compiling as modules.

They are blacklisted by /etc/modprobe.d/linux-sound-base_noOSS on my
system though.  You can switch module loading preference between OSS and
ALSA on Debian.  Just run "dpkg-reconfigure linux-sound-base" to select
the sound system.

Even on ALSA system, you can have OSS software running using
compatibility module.  Just load the oss-compat package.  This prevents
"/dev/dsp not found" error.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Sound_System
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Linux_Sound_Architecture
http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/8234/print