Re: Here's something interesting... (was Re: Q: List Policy)

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 01:38:36AM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 11/18/08 01:19, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
>> On Monday 17 November 2008, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote
>> about 'Here's something interesting... (was Re: Q: List Policy)':
>>> Your email, though text, is really a quoted-printable attachment.
>>> Tbird displays it as text, but eliminates the pgp-signature and the
>>> list-supplied signature.
>>
>> Yes, that's the S/MIME standard for signed email.  Well, the extra
>> signature at the bottom isn't, but that's not part of the message I
>> send the mailing list.
>>
>> AFAIK, there's no List Policy against 7-bit clean mail (which requires
>> either UUENCODE or quoted-printable [or bans all non-ASCI characters])
>> or cryptographic signatures of a reasonable (and fixed no less!)
>> length.
>>
>> That said, if the list would prefer I not sign my emails or use inline
>> signatures, I can change that easily.
>
> The only issue I see with it is that each line ends with a "=20" and
> that text MUAs might not filter that part out.
>
> Also, it might (or might not...) be a Tbird bug that it doesn't show the
> UNSUBSCRIBE signature.

This might be a long-standing issue with smartlist, where the signature
is appended to the end of the message but may end up being hidden if the
message is structured.  It works fine for plain text messages, and maybe
also for some MIME forms if the last one is visible.  The list software
does not change, mung, or otherwise mess with message bodies other than
appending the optional stuff at the end, and it would have to jump through
some hoops to work properly with MIME messages, e.g., at least terminate
the last such section.  Or so I dimly recall...

Ken

--
Ken Irving, fnkci@uaf.edu