How to adjust horizontal screen position

Hello,

for testing (and fun) I have a system with three Linux distributions
installed in parallel: Debian Etch, Debian Lenny, and Ubuntu 8.10.
Everything works fine, but there is one small nuisance: The horizontal
position of the screen display changes between distributions. E.g., when
I switch from Debian to Ubuntu, I have to use the position controls of
the CRT monitor to shift the display contents to the left.

The screen resolution is the same in all three installations
(1280x1024). I looked at /etc/X11/xorg.conf but didn't see any dramatic
differences. Also, the Ubuntu Wiki says, that in 8.10 xorg.conf isn't
consulted that much anymore because most the information is collected by
hal.

How can I configure the installations so the horizontal screen position
is the same with all of them?

Thanks in advance,
Malte