Re: Filing bug reports in Debian (was Re: Debian Stole My Name!)

On Sat, 2008-10-11 at 10:20 -0400, Hal Vaughan wrote:
> On Saturday 11 October 2008, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> > >
> > > Me neither, not even when I screwed up big time (#499594).
> > >
> > > The response of Julien Cristau was exemplary, even though I wasted
> > > his time (during the freeze!) with my stupidity.
> >
> > This thread feels like déjà vu all over again:
> >
> > http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2006/04/msg03365.html
> >
> > The link in the message does not turn up anything because the bug
> > report has been archived in the meantime; here is the direct link:

> Which has a good chance of being the only bug, anywhere, that I filed
> under by birth name.  I won't go into details on the reasoning because
> that's way too OT.
>
> I still maintain that the issue had more to do with the issue than the
> response said, however in that case, but I felt the responder was more
> interested in writing it off than in dealing with the issue or helping
> me figure out where the bug should have been categorized under.
>

> Hal

This is purely subjective, but I have not had a bad experience at all.
I filed a bug against the (debian) kernel for cups printer not printing.
I quickly found out it was not a debian specific bug and the kernel dev
responsible for the IP stack in The kernel contacted me when he saw the
bug report.  He then moved it out of debian, into the kernel it's self
and worked with me directly until he got a fix.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/debian/+source/linux/+bug/213081 <original

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=478062 <kernel

Ilpo Järvinen and two others on the kernel team were outstanding in
terms of responses and assistance.  They even said I would be listed for
credit on testing the fix for the code.

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com