Re: Filing bug reports in Debian (was Re: Debian Stole My Name!)

On Sat,11.Oct.08, 10:20:57, Hal Vaughan wrote:

[...]

> I still maintain that the issue had more to do with the issue than the
> response said, however in that case, but I felt the responder was more
> interested in writing it off than in dealing with the issue or helping
> me figure out where the bug should have been categorized under.

Sorry Hal, I have to disagree here. Aptitude is just a package manager
frontend, it doesn't have any responsibility whatsoever about what
maintainer scripts do on your machine (in this case it's the scripts of
linux-image-*). You would have triggered the same behaviour by 1) using
apt-get instead of aptitude[1] 2) dpkg-reconfigure linux-image-*.

As for the response of Christian Perrier, I'm sure he didn't mean to be
rude[2], it's just that the tone is hard to replicate in writing.

[1] actually dpkg is the one installing packages and running the
maintainer scripts. AFAICT apt[itude] just feed it a list of packages to
install/remove/whatever.

[2] I'm also subscribed to debian-i18n where a lot (most?) of
Christian's activity happens and I've been reading his posts for while.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)