Re: Debian Stole My Name!

On Saturday 11 October 2008, Michael Biebl wrote:
> Hal Vaughan wrote:
> > But I've learned, the hard way, NEVER file a bug report in a FOSS
> > project.  I have several times and have yet to find one where the
> > developers were appreciative of the bug report.  I'll go even
> > farther: In most cases they've been outright hostile and I've had
> > times where they've "told me off" to justify closing the bug.
>
> If that would be true, do you think that *two* DDs would even bother
> to reply to you on this list and research this issue to get it fixed?

Then they can bring up the point with other DDs that there is at least
one person with the perception that filing a bug report is a guarantee
of a nasty response.  While they may not be the kind of developer that
might respond that way, the fact that some do seems to create an issue.
I did mention this before when it was part of a topic, but only because
it was directly related to the topic.  If I feel this way and didn't
want to mention it until it was on topic, what are the chances that
nobody else has ever felt this way?

These two DDs might be eager to get reports like that, but I don't know
who will respond and don't know whether or not I'll get a response from
a professionally acting person like them or from someone who just wants
to close it out and not address the issue.

> I have learned, that in FOSS it is really important how you say
> things. Remember that we are all volunteers and love what we do (and
> often feel very emotional about it).
>
> If you are getting bug reports which are insulting or call your work
> a load of crap, then you are much less inclined to work on this
> issue.
>
> A few kind words and appreciation can do wonders.

I make sure, when I file a bug report, that I stick to a technical
description and do NOT insult or say anything negative.  I don't feel
anything negative toward the programmer or developer so why should I
call them names or insult them?

I'm a writer by nature and passion, good enough, even, to have been
invited in to deal with national TV on the one time I tried anything in
that venue (and had a producer who many people here likely have heard
of eager to deal with me until that show had to shut the door on
freelancers at one point).  I admit, once it hits about midnight, my
writing slips and I don't have the patience to write the "nicey-nice"
type posts that blows smoke up someone's butt as some people might like
to always get, but I know how to not insult people -- unless I want to.

I'll also add, on another note, that if someone is a developer for any
project, it's their responsibility, if a bug report is filed, to not
only asses it, but to also make sure that if it's filed
inappropriately, to direct the reporter to where it should be filed and
to deal with the issue, whether the reporter just reports the facts or
writes a flattering message, or, and this is unfortunate, if the
reporter gives enough details to make it clear there is an issue but is
rude, it's still the developer's responsibility to focus on the issue
and not the language.

Granted, not all of us can do that, though.  Any bug report, if it
describes a legitimate negative behavior, needs to be handled rather
than dismissed.

Hal