Re: Xorg: missing fixed fonts

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 2:23 PM, Chris Bannister
<mockingbird@earthlight.co.nz> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 07:34:34PM +0200, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
>> As a side node I could never get the module-assistant auto-install
>> nvidia to work, even explicitely setting gcc to an older gcc 4.1
>> version, it would fail with an empty log. I had to run the shell
>> script from nvidia.
>
> Mmmm, should work. Just used it yesterday.
>
> m-a prepare nvidia
> m-a build -t nvidia (so you can see the screen output.)
> m-a install nvidia
>
> There was one issue but I think I was mislead:
>
> xdriinfo reckoned the libGL was to old. And cause I was only sometimes
> seeing the nvidia splash screen I thought there was a problem.
>
> I don't know if an ln -s libGL.so to the nvidia libGL did anything or
> not, but I installed mesa-utils and glxgears[1] was showing about 1800 fps
> but xdriinfo still reckoned the libGL was to old. glxinfo showed dri
> was on and using nvidia; not mesa.
>
> Stellarium worked a treat.

Sorry my posts must have been interchanged. So I finally got the
nvidia stuff installed properly using m-a but I had to use stuff from
unstable 173.x version (from the top of my head).

To get the libGL.so symlink I installed: nvidia-glx-dev

> [1] Not a good benchmark though.

At some point it has a very funny command line(*) option to keep
reminding people about that, I never really look into why that was a
bad benchmark.

--
Mathieu
Ps: something like -iacknowledgethisisnotabench