Re: 8139cp 0000:03:08.0: This (id 10ec:8139 rev 10) is not an 8139C+ compatible chip

On Monday 21 July 2008 13:27, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Mon,21.Jul.08, 03:55:20, Dominik Dera wrote:
> > Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> > > and the blacklisting won't work if the module is in your initrd! You
> > > at least need to run update-initramfs and you would probably be
> > > advised to unpack one to make *sure* it's not in there...
> >
> > This problem can be solved by removing 8139cp module, and afterwards
> > updating initramfs. So it goes like this:
> >
> > rmmod -v 8139cp
> > update-initramfs -uv
>
> This will not survive a linux-image update.
>
> Regards,
> Andrei

Personally, I've never found any problems with both modules being loaded. I've
had to add 8139too to /etc/modules, and both are loaded, and I think the
bootup messages complain about 8139cp, and then goes on to say "using
8139too".

If the blacklisting won't work, I've had success with loading the unwanted
module to /bin/true, where it's loaded into nowhere land. Add a line to a
file in /etc/modprobe.d. I don't know if it matters which file you add it to,
and I put it, in the case of "pcspkr" in the alsa-base file. See below.

install 8139cp /bin/true

Nigel.