Re: Xorg: missing fixed fonts

It's been a long time debian installation didn't went so wrong...(dell
& ibm in the past were a lot more smoother).

so I was missing "xfonts-base" package...don't ask I do not know why
in the world it was not installed/or got removed somehow.

Because my ethernet would go off without warning, I had a very nice
surprise: firefox would refuse to start and crash in the background. I
realize that, starting epiphany, which would tell me : network is
down. I had to remove the brand new .mozilla directory from my user
and start firefox again making sure the network is up.

I solved the network using:

http://adam.rosi-kessel.org/weblog/2008/06/21/a-much-simpler-fix-for-the-r8169-link-down-problem

I'll wait for the next kernel version (2.6.26) which -hopefully- will
solve my ethernet issue.

As a side node I could never get the module-assistant auto-install
nvidia to work, even explicitely setting gcc to an older gcc 4.1
version, it would fail with an empty log. I had to run the shell
script from nvidia.

HTH
-Mathieu