Re: [OT] GMail troubles [Was: Re: du-guidelines - point 7]

On Mon, 2008-07-14 at 19:04 -0700, Brian Marshall wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 20:46:07 -0500
> Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
>
> > I keep telling people that Gmail is evil, but no one will listen.
> >
> > If you care about your data, and want to get to it at any time, keep
> > your data and your apps on your local machine.
>
> So what would you recommend for a free, ISP-independent email service
> with IMAP and a sensible amount of storage space?

Host it yourself on an extra machine shoved in a closet.  Works for me.

> The reason I use Gmail is because there is no way I can set up
> everything for email on a local server (not the least of which
> preventing this is the restrictions of a consumer-level ISP) and no
> other free mail service provides the same benefits as Gmail.

There's always other ISPs.  If you're on Comcast, try switching to DSL.
The telcos are, for the first time in a very long time, the lesser of
two evils.

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca