Re: [OT] GMail troubles [Was: Re: du-guidelines - point 7]

On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 12:36:57PM -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-07-14 at 19:04 -0700, Brian Marshall wrote:
> > On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 20:46:07 -0500
> > Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> >
> > > I keep telling people that Gmail is evil, but no one will listen.
> > >
> > > If you care about your data, and want to get to it at any time, keep
> > > your data and your apps on your local machine.
> >
> > So what would you recommend for a free, ISP-independent email service
> > with IMAP and a sensible amount of storage space?
>
> Host it yourself on an extra machine shoved in a closet.  Works for me.
>
> > The reason I use Gmail is because there is no way I can set up
> > everything for email on a local server (not the least of which
> > preventing this is the restrictions of a consumer-level ISP) and no
> > other free mail service provides the same benefits as Gmail.
>
> There's always other ISPs.  If you're on Comcast, try switching to DSL.
> The telcos are, for the first time in a very long time, the lesser of
> two evils.

I want to second that on switching to DSL. Further, you can often
find DSL resellers that work with the phone company but have their own
block of ip. My guy charges me about $60.00 per year on top of the
regular dsl charge. For that I get true static ip in a non-dynamic ip
block (keeps me off the blacklists). I get fantastic personalized
service. And I get a complete hands off policy with no closed
ports. The speed is not as good as cable, but I don't really care. It's
plenty fast enough for whatever I feel like doing.