Re: [Mostly Solved] Re: Blurry fonts in printed invoices

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 19:36:16 -0400, Celejar wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 19:04:45 +0200 Florian Kulzer wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 20:30:05 -0400, Celejar wrote:

> > > $ pdffonts PDF/A_simple_test_page_for_common_fonts.pdf
> > > name                                 type              emb sub uni object ID
> > > ------------------------------------ ----------------- --- --- --- ---------
> > > XXCIFJ+f-1-0                         TrueType          yes yes yes     10  0
> > > QEHNHK+f-8-0                         TrueType          yes yes yes     40  0
> > > UFQSLH+f-3-0                         Type 1C           yes yes no      14  0
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > [none]                               Type 3            yes no  yes     22  0
> > > [none]                               Type 3            yes no  yes     39  0
> > > [none]                               Type 3            yes no  yes     31  0
> > >
> > > Most of the fonts look quite good.
> >
> > Maybe we have to be satisfied with that, then. (A font by any other
> > name...) At least your system is smart enough to only embed the
> > necessary subsets; I now realized that mine bloats the PDFs with the
> > complete fonts.
>
> Can you elaborate on this?  What part of the pdffonts output refers to that?

It refers to the "sub" column, which is "no" for all the fonts for me,
meaning that the full character sets have been embedded. Therefore my
printed PDF weighs in at more than 270 KB. Your system is smarter and
only embeds the font data for the characters that are actually used in
the document.

If I print the same page to postscript from iceweasel and distil that to
a PDF with ghostscript then the PDF has only the necessary subsets
embedded and it is 90 KB. I then get the same "ugly" font names in the
output of pdffonts that you have, by the way.

          Florian   |