Re: Blurry fonts in printed invoices

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 18:42:51 -0400, Celejar wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 23:06:50 +0200 Florian Kulzer wrote:

[...]

> [...]

[...]

> > It would be good to know if you also see the nameless type 3 fonts
> > listed for PDFs that you generate from other web pages, e.g. the Debian
> > homepage.
>
> I do.  For http://www.debian.org:

[...]

> The pdffonts output for that PDF:
>
> name                                 type              emb sub uni object ID
> ------------------------------------ ----------------- --- --- --- ---------
> RRTVUI+f-0-0                         TrueType          yes yes yes      9  0
> PGUGBG+f-1-0                         TrueType          yes yes yes     13  0
> VKJNGT+f-4-0                         TrueType          yes yes yes     88  0
> [none]                               Type 3            yes no  yes     20  0
> [none]                               Type 3            yes no  yes     32  0
> MFZMRR+f-5-0                         TrueType          yes yes yes     99  0
> GMTXSU+f-7-0                         Type 1C           yes yes yes    103  0
> RXRETH+f-6-0                         Type 1C           yes yes yes    101  0
> [none]                               Type 3            yes no  yes    115  0
> [none]                               Type 3            yes no  yes    108  0
> [none]                               Type 3            yes no  yes    112  0

Here is what I get when I print www.debian.org to a PDF with iceweasel
3.0~rc2-2 (output of pdffonts v3.00 from poppler-utils 0.8.4-1.1):

name                                 type              emb sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ----------------- --- --- --- ---------
CairoFont-0-0                        CID Type 0C       yes no  yes      6  0
BitstreamVeraSans                    CID TrueType      yes no  yes      9  0
ArialBold                            CID TrueType      yes no  yes     11  0
Arial                                CID TrueType      yes no  yes     12  0
DejaVuSansBold                       CID TrueType      yes no  yes     17  0
BitstreamVeraSansMono                CID TrueType      yes no  yes     18  0
CairoFont-6-0                        CID Type 0C       yes no  yes     73  0
KochiGothic                          CID TrueType      yes no  yes     74  0

The text that looks OK in your PDF has no CSS font specifications
associated with it, so iceweasel should render it using your configured
default font. The elements with the ugly fonts in the PDF, on the other
hand, all have this CSS declaration:

font-family: Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;

Here is how my system matches these names:

$ for F in Arial Helvetica sans-serif; do fc-match $F; done
Arial.ttf: "Arial" "Normal"
n019003l.pfb: "Nimbus Sans L" "Regular"
Vera.ttf: "Bitstream Vera Sans" "Roman"

These font files come from the packages msttcorefonts, gsfonts-x11, and
ttf-bitstream-vera, respectively. Do you have these packages installed?
If not, does installing them give you nicer fonts in the PDF? If you do
not want to befoul your system with the evil runes of Redmond then you
could try installing ttf-liberation instead.

          Florian   |