Re: [Mostly Solved] Re: Blurry fonts in printed invoices

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 22:34:22 +0200
Florian Kulzer <florian.kulzer+debian@icfo.es> wrote:

> It refers to the "sub" column, which is "no" for all the fonts for me,
> meaning that the full character sets have been embedded. Therefore my
> printed PDF weighs in at more than 270 KB. Your system is smarter and
> only embeds the font data for the characters that are actually used in
> the document.

Got it, thanks.

> If I print the same page to postscript from iceweasel and distil that to
> a PDF with ghostscript then the PDF has only the necessary subsets
> embedded and it is 90 KB. I then get the same "ugly" font names in the
> output of pdffonts that you have, by the way.

I've been printing from IW using the virtual CUPS-PDF printer.  I just
tried printing to file (direct to PDF, not to ps), and I now get the
same pdffonts output that you do, nice font names but all 'no's in the
sub column.  OTOH, I find that the file sizes are 10 - 20 percent
*smaller* for pages printed directly to file from IW!  I have tried
three different pages: a blog post, a sales invoice and an AP news
article.  Your test page, OTOH, is about 4 to 5 times *larger* when
printed directly to file.  Perhaps the reason is that your page uses
relatively few characters per font, while more typical pages tend to
use much larger subsets, which limits the savings realized by only
including subsets of the fonts in the file?

For reference, www.debian.org is 133533 bytes when printed via
CUPS-PDF, and 113840 when printed directly to a file by IW.

>           Florian   |

Celejar