Re: Cannot find /dev/parport0 - Solution

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008, Account for Debian group mail wrote:

>  Hello Again,
>
>  I just upgraded our print server/samba machine from sarge to etch.
>
>  In the /var/log/dmesg file i see:
>
>  parport: PnPBIOS parport detected.
>  parport0: PC-style at 0x378, irq 7 [PCSPP,TRISTATE]
>  parport0: Printer, Hewlett-Packard HP LaserJet 6MP
>
>  This looks correct.
>

>  In the /etc/printcap file I have:
>
>  lp|Our Printer:\
>          :lp=/dev/parport0:\
>          :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
>          :af=/var/log/lp-acct:\
>          :lf=/var/log/lp-errs:\
>          :pl#66:\
>          :pw#80:\
>          :pc#150:\
>          :mx#0:\
>          :sh:
>
>  When I do a "checkpc" I get:
>
>  Warning - lp: cannot stat lp device '/dev/parport0' - No such file or directory
>

>  What is it that I'm doing wrong?
>
>  Thanks,
>
>  Ken

Well I found a solution thanks to an old post by Mumia W.

Anyway I figured it is a udev problem that is causing the /dev/lp0 file
(that I used to have the printcap pointing too) to go away.

This is an older computer so I think the udev is not working properly and
bring up the proper device. And what a nightmare trying to figure out udev
rules.

So anyway I created a new directory "/s-dev". And in this directory I
created 3 new device files:

mknod /s-dev/lp0 c 6 0
mknod /s-dev/lp1 c 6 1
mknod /s-dev/lp2 c 6 2

change the ownership of these new device files:

chown root:lp *

change the group to write permissions:

chmod g+w lp*

edited my /etc/printcap file to: