Re: howto find out why dist-upgrade wants to remove a package?

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 11:50:39AM -0500, Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> was heard to say:
> Osamu Aoki wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 09:45:04AM -0500, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
>>> It may be obsolete, but its replacement causes problems for that
>>> plugin,  which is no longer supported BTW.
>>>
>>> In the meanwhile aptitude keeps insisting on removing that package no
>>>  matter what I pin preferences to :-(
>>
>> If this is your objective, pin is wrong long term solution if you want
>> to run newer distribution.  You should create chroot and run old
>> distribution within it just for mysql.
>>
>> http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch10.en.html#thechroot
>>

> Very complicated to run mysql-server, apache and WordPress in chroot and
> the rest, including the rest of X, not.

  You probably only need to run the bits that need php4-mysql in the
chroot.  I think that would be WordPress and maybe apache (unless you
can tell apache to chroot before spawning the php module).  MySQL
connects over a standard network socket, so WordPress can access it
regardless of whether it's chrooted or not.

  Disclaimer: I have never run WordPress on my computer and I know very
little about PHP or MySQL.

  Daniel