Maildir vs mbox again (was: IMAP is teh r0x0rz!)

Steve Lamb:

>     Right now my trash is 2000 messages at 14Mb.  50,000 messages would be
> ~350Mb.  Certainly doesn't take me 20 minutes to begin to work with a 350Mb
> flat file.  Hell, at work I've opened larger flat files over the network in
> shorter time.

I don't see a problem with several thousand files in one directory:

# echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

$ time ls -1 ~/Maildir/.debian.user/cur | wc -l
10997

real    0m2.529s
user    0m0.284s
sys     0m0.332s

$ du -hs ~/Maildir/.debian.user/cur
87M     .

The first line flushes the filesystem cache. Subsequent runs take about
0.3 seconds. Filesystem is XFS on a 2.6.18 kernel from etch.  It
shouldn't be significantly worse with ext3 (at least when it is created
with -O dir_index).

J.
--
Atrocities committed in Rwanda pervade my mind when I am discussing
mundanities with acquaintances.