Re: IMAP is teh r0x0rz! [was: Re: getting copies of own posted messages; was: Re: ??: Stunned by aptitude.]

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 10:38:21AM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 09, 2008 at 01:38:35PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > On 07/09/08 13:26, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> > This is why IMAP should be the standard mail store, not mboxes in
> > "proprietary" locations.

> second that. THe convenience is incredible. Case in point:

    Here's another fine example.  I use dovecot on my server to expose my mbox
mail via IMAP.  Here are the locations from where I regularly check my mail:

On the server itself via mutt (ssh session).
Squirrelmail via any web browser the world over.
Thunderbird on my KUbuntu laptop.
Thunderbird on my Windows partition on my gaming machine.
Thunderbird on my KUbuntu partition on my gaming machine.
Thunderbird on my KUbuntu VirtualBox VM under Windows on my gaming machine.
Thunderbird on my KUbuntu VirtualBox VM under Windows on my work laptop.

    Sure, I could do all that with ssh to the server and read via mutt but I
prefer Thunderbird and being able to just point it to my IMAP store, configure
about 3-4 settings and be good to go is a godsend.

    The only thing I miss in that setup, really, is the ability to configure
filters from inside the client and subfolders.  I know both are possible if I
switch to another IMAP server.  However I would lose the flexibility of
ssh/mutt which comes in handy sometimes.  Regardless I cannot imagine doing
all of the above without IMAP.