Re: Kontron 986LCD-M/mITX / kernel upgrade with etch stable?

Hallo Moritz,

Am 2008-05-02 13:50:30, schrieb hh.eu@gmx.de:
> I've been seeing different comments on this list recently regarding
> mixing
> stable with testing or unstable or backports etc. Generally this
> should be
> avoided. Would this mean, since I need a newer kernel than the one in
> etch
> stable, that I should not run Etch stable but go for lenny or sid
> instead?

I suggest you to ONLY compile your own 2.6.25  Kernel  with  all  needed
modules included which will give you a perfect Kernel without initrd and
dependence hell...  (initrd-tools and such from Etch are not  compatibel
with the stuff from Kernel 2.6.25)

> As for the RAID: I plan to use software RAID rather than use 'hardware'
> RAID of the controller. That should be possible, shouldn't it?

Yes.  And of course,  even  if  the  mainboard  would  support  Hardware
Raid-1/2 I will never trust them...  For such things I would use a 3Ware
where I can be sure, I get a compatibel one if something goeas wrong.

Note:  I am using a VIA EPIA LN10000EAG with 1 GByte memory and a
       4 GByte "SanDisk Extreme IV" and I am very happy with it.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    24V Electronic Engineer
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

+49/177/9351947    50, rue de Soultz         MSN LinuxMichi
+33/6/61925193     67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)