Re: Kontron 986LCD-M/mITX / kernel upgrade with etch stable?

Am 02.05.2008 um 11:01 schrieb Sylvain Le Gall:

On 02-05-2008, hh.eu@gmx.de <hh.eu@gmx.de> wrote:
I was looking at the mini-ITX board "Kontron 986LCD-M/mITX"
<http://emea.kontron.com/products/boards+and+mezzanines/embedded
+motherboards/
miniitx+motherboards/986lcdmmitx.html>
and am wondering if anyone has used this for a Debian system. Are the
chipsets
supported, or do you recognise any that are not working well/at all?

* Intel 945GM Intel ICH7R Embedded Chipset consisting of:
   + Intel 82945G Graphics and Memory Controller Hub (GMCH)
   + Intel ICH7R I/O Controller Hub (ICH7R)
   + 8 Mbit Firmware Hub (FWH)
* graphics: Intel GMA950 Controller with 2D/3D Graphics Engine
* ethernet: Realtek RTL8111B (with 3 ethernet connectors!)
* Winbond W83627THF LPC Bus I/O Controller
* Intel 82801G ICH7 USB Universal Host Controller
* Intel 82801GR/GH SATA RAID Controller
* Intel 82801G ICH7 Ultra ATA Storage Controllers

The manual also says:
"OS support: Linux: Feodora Core 5, Suse 10.01 (limitations may apply)"
and
"The SATA controller supports AHCI mode and has integrated RAID
functionality
with support for RAID modes 0, 1, 5 and 10 (Linux O/S only support
for RAID 0
and 1)."

I have this kind of motherboard inside a Hush B3.

It takes time at the beginning to work. Most of the part are working
except the network (RTL8111B).

The solution is to upgrade your kernel to at least 2.6.22.6, to have the
working r8169 kernel module.

Since network issue is solved, this motherboard is working great.

I don't have tested graphics and RAID.

Regards,
Sylvain Le Gall

Thanks a lot for this valuable info, I wouldn't have expected the network
to be the biggest problem!

I've been seeing different comments on this list recently regarding mixing stable with testing or unstable or backports etc. Generally this should be avoided. Would this mean, since I need a newer kernel than the one in etch stable, that I should not run Etch stable but go for lenny or sid instead?

If anyone else has any tips or ideas for problems that might occur with
the chipsets, please let me know!

As for the RAID: I plan to use software RAID rather than use 'hardware'
RAID of the controller. That should be possible, shouldn't it?

Thanks again!
-Moritz