Re: Which distro for workstations?

Am 2008-05-03 17:51:17, schrieb Kamaraju S Kusumanchi:
> For example, On my production system I use Etch. But I need latest software
> related to numerical analysis (octave, maxima, gfortran etc.,), plotting
> capabilities (gnuplot), typesetting capabilities (latex, texmacs) etc., So
> I run stable for the most part and compile the other packages myself or
> pull them from testing, unstable, backports as and when necessary. But
> after installing these packages I redirect my sources.list back to Stable
> so that no updates from testing/unstable get into my system inadvertantly.
> I can use apt-pinning etc., but I like the manual method (may be I am a
> masochist :-))

Are you sure, you have NO testing/unstable installation?

If i try it here on my Etch, and r to install maxima, it pull in  a  new
libc6 where 99% of the system depend on and upgrade the whole system to
unstable.

So I can not believe it, you "switch only for installing" to unstable.

You have to use Backports (mybe your own)  to  prevent  the  dependencie
hell.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    24V Electronic Engineer
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

+49/177/9351947    50, rue de Soultz         MSN LinuxMichi
+33/6/61925193     67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)