Re: Kontron 986LCD-M/mITX / kernel upgrade with etch stable?

On 02-05-2008, hh.eu@gmx.de <hh.eu@gmx.de> wrote:
> Am 02.05.2008 um 11:01 schrieb Sylvain Le Gall:
>> On 02-05-2008, hh.eu@gmx.de <hh.eu@gmx.de> wrote:
>> The solution is to upgrade your kernel to at least 2.6.22.6, to
>> have the
>> working r8169 kernel module.
>>
>> Since network issue is solved, this motherboard is working great.
>>
>> I don't have tested graphics and RAID.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Sylvain Le Gall
>
> I've been seeing different comments on this list recently regarding
> mixing
> stable with testing or unstable or backports etc. Generally this
> should be
> avoided. Would this mean, since I need a newer kernel than the one in
> etch
> stable, that I should not run Etch stable but go for lenny or sid
> instead?

You have 2 solutions:
- use r1000 (a driver from realtek for this card) with kernel 2.6.18 in
  etch
- just recompile a newer kernel or use one from backports.org
(http://packages.debian.org/etch-backports/linux-image-2.6-686), which
is version 2.6.22

In the two cases, you doesn't need to mix unstable/stable.

I think going to lenny just for the kernel is not a good idea.

> As for the RAID: I plan to use software RAID rather than use 'hardware'
> RAID of the controller. That should be possible, shouldn't it?

This is possible and far more better than using fake intel RAID...
Performance will be equal and you will have something working better.

Regards,
Sylvain Le Gall