Re: Kontron 986LCD-M/mITX / kernel upgrade with etch stable?

Am 02.05.2008 um 14:09 schrieb Sylvain Le Gall:
On 02-05-2008, hh.eu@gmx.de <hh.eu@gmx.de> wrote:
Am 02.05.2008 um 11:01 schrieb Sylvain Le Gall:
The solution is to upgrade your kernel to at least 2.6.22.6, to
have the
working r8169 kernel module.

I've been seeing different comments on this list recently regarding
mixing
stable with testing or unstable or backports etc. Generally this
should be
avoided. Would this mean, since I need a newer kernel than the one in
etch
stable, that I should not run Etch stable but go for lenny or sid
instead?

You have 2 solutions:
- use r1000 (a driver from realtek for this card) with kernel 2.6.18 in
  etch

For anyone else looking for this (Realtek's website is a bit disorganised
and searching for the driver on it took me a while), here's the link:

<http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx? Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false>

- just recompile a newer kernel or use one from backports.org
(http://packages.debian.org/etch-backports/linux-image-2.6-686), which
is version 2.6.22

OK, good, thanks for clarifying.

In the two cases, you doesn't need to mix unstable/stable.

I think going to lenny just for the kernel is not a good idea.

Yes, that's what I thought, too!

As for the RAID: I plan to use software RAID rather than use 'hardware'
RAID of the controller. That should be possible, shouldn't it?

This is possible and far more better than using fake intel RAID...
Performance will be equal and you will have something working better.

Great, thanks again for backing up my thoughts and choice against fake
hardware RAID!

Now I'm researching which case to get. Ideally I want a tiny one but
which allows two or more 2,5" HDDs in it. (Perhaps I later also want to
install a TV (DVB-T) card in it, too.) So far I haven't found a good
one.

-Moritz