Re: installing scanner canon

Are you aware of the SANE website and its list of supported devices
<http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html#Z-CANON> and the sane-devel
which might be more appropriate places to consult with your problem?

You are referring to sane-find-scanner etc., so you're trying to get the
scanner to work using SANE, however your scanner is listed as "not
supported" on the above mentioned list of compatible hardware. The
reference on the Ubuntu Portugal page you gave claiming that your scanner works with Ubuntu doesn't list any proof/links/background etc., so seems a
bit unreliable, if you ask me.

A quick Google search also only reveals results that show that the scanner
doesn't work in any other OS than Windows. E.g., a German Ubuntu page
specifically lists the device as not supported on its blacklist:
<http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/Hardware_blacklist>

I believe the problem is that your scanner uses a chipset for which no one
has written a SANE backend yet. So I am afraid your scanner is (still)
unsupported, and your conclusion that after all these years of not being
supported it should work now was a bit premature.

Most (all?) scanner producers usually only provide binary drivers for
Windows. This is what you have on the CD. Of course, unfortunately, these
are useless for all other OS like Debian.

-Moritz

P.S.: I now see you did look at the SANE documentation before. Maybe try the
mailing list, but I think they won't be able to help you.