Re: Replace Ubuntu with Debian

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
On 30/04/2008, Damon L. Chesser <damon@damtek.com> wrote:
 Don't forget about the fans!  There is no i8kutils for amd64.  I don't know
if your xps boxes needs the i8kutils to make the fans go around, but my
Vostro sure does.

Hm, my Inspiron's fans seem to working fine. I can see the CPU
temperature is usually around 42C, which I'm guessing is a good
temperature, although it does go as high as 70C when I'm compiling or
number crunching. I think the XPS uses similar chipsets to the
Inspiron.

Or did you mean something else?

- Jordi G. H.

Well, my vostro has two fans (about the same as an Inspiron, differnt case). If I never turn them on, (with i8kutils) it does not seem to overheat, but you never hear the fans kick in. With i8kutils installed, they turn on and off as needed with different set points for AC and battery. Do you ever hear your fans blow? Google Dell laptop ubuntu fans or Dell Inspiron fan ubuntu. There is a userspace tool someone came up with for the amd64 userspace that works. Like I said earlier, to much work. I like the i8kutils, set the temp points (and only then if you want to use F instead of C), install them on gkrellm, you can then "see" the fans spin. Turn them on auto, or set them manualy to off, slow, or full.

HTH

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com