Re: Replace Ubuntu with Debian

On 29/04/2008, Igor <k.igor.k@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just purchased a Dell laptop with Ubuntu 7.10 preinstalled.
[snip]
>  However, I prefer the Debian package selection and frequency of
>  updates (I usually run unstable).

I bought one of the same ones. I simply wiped the hard drive and
installed Debian on it. I managed to get everything working with
Debian, except suspend and hibernate (although I don't care too much
about that), although it took some tweaking. I bet if I tweaked it
some more, I could get suspend and hibernate too, but I haven't really
bothered.

Is it an Inspiron 1420 or an XPS? I'm not sure what the XPS is
shipping with nowdays, but a hint with the Inpsiron 1420: Compiz does
work on it, and it works beautifully, but you have to unblacklist your
card, and you'll have to disable Xv in the apps that use it (disable
it from gstreamer-properties).

Btw, I'd love to compare notes with you. Here's what I wrote about the laptop:

     http://everything2.com/title/Dell%20Ubuntu%20Laptop

Cheers,
- Jordi G. H.