Re: problem setting user and group on mounting a cifs share

On Monday 28 April 2008, Mark Clarkson wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-04-26 at 21:20 +0200, Chris wrote:
> > I have two different machines on which I am mouting a cifs share with the
> > following in /etc/fstab
> >
> > //192.168.178.27/share  /mnt/share cifs
> > users,noauto,credentials=/etc/cred 0       0
>
> When the cifs module is loaded check for LinuxExtensionsEnabled in proc:
>
>   ls /proc/fs/cifs/LinuxExtensionsEnabled
>
> If it's there turn it off (this will be on the machine with root:root):
>
>   echo 0 > /proc/fs/cifs/LinuxExtensionsEnabled
>
> I guess the other machine has an older cifs which does not have Linux
> Extensions or is using smbfs. check with the 'ls ...' line above.
>
> Cheers
> Mark

Thanks!  This solved the uid and gid problems.  I
googled "/proc/fs/cifs/LinuxExtensionsEnabled" and found some postings on
this problem.  It seems like this is a quasi-bug in mount.cifs.

Unfortunately, although it does not report any errors

	rsync -avz /home/user/source /mnt/share/TEST

still does not work as expected.  It does copy all the files in the source
directory tree on running the first time.  When run a second time it copies
some, but not all files that were archived the first time, although these
files have not been touched since.  This is a no-go on a multi-gigabyte file
tree where huge amounts of data are unecessarily transfered.  Sigh.

Chris

--
C. Hurschler