Re: keeping package selection with new install

frits wrote:
Hello,

I have a rather old PC running Etch just the way I want it.
Om my new PC I want to instal Lenny, and with the same set of
packages I have on Etch. Is there a trick to transport my
installed package list in a clever way?

Thanks

Frits:

get the source.list names for any special repos (mulitmedia comes to mind)
dpkg --get-selections >filename

on the new box, do a base install only. Do not pick any "applications" during the installation, deselect everything.

transfer your filename over.

modify /etc/apt/sources.list to suite and make sure all your "special" reposes are represented.

dpkg --set-selections < filename

apt-get upgrade-dselect

watch the magic happen.

it is possible you might have a few apt-get -f install moments to correct the order of the packages installed (perhaps one or more could not yet install but will the 2nd time around due to cryptic deps) but I have not had this happen doing this.

HTH

P.S

This is off the top of my head, google dpkg get-selection for the exact commands, but I think these are it.

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com