problem setting user and group on mounting a cifs share

I have two different machines on which I am mouting a cifs share with the
following in /etc/fstab

//192.168.178.27/share  /mnt/share cifs users,noauto,credentials=/etc/cred
0       0

the mount path on both machines is set to

drwxr-xr-x  2 username users   4096 2008-04-26 20:41 share

On one machine I get the following when the user in /etc/cred mounts the share

drwxrwxrwx  8 root    root       0 2008-04-26 20:42 share

directories in share have the user and group "identd users"

on another machine I get this

drwxrwxrwx  8 username username    0 2008-04-26 20:42 share

directoreis have user and group "username username"

I would prefer the second, but can't figure out why it only works on one of
the two machines.  The reason I even care is that with the second I can have
the user run rsync -avz without problems, on the machine wich does not set the
user and group I get chgrp and other errors.

Tanks for any suggestion,

C. Hurschler