taming resolv.conf

Another little niggle from my recent install which doesn't seem to be
as straight forward as it should be... I hope someone can point me
at what I am doing wrong...

Immediately following my Etch 40r3 netinstall my /etc/network/interfaces
had a pretty standard looking
	precision:/etc/network# grep -v '#' /etc/network/interfaces.orig
	auto lo
	iface lo inet loopback
	allow-hotplug eth0
	iface eth0 inet dhcp
My /etc/resolv.conf file looked ok, except the DHCP server in my
router provides nameserver IP only, no search list.

After a bit of searching it looked like the resolvconf package would
be an simple solution, so I installed it and updated my loopback
device entry to insert the search list as follows:
	auto lo
	iface lo inet loopback
	  dns-search cthulhu.dircon.co.uk

That all worked fine, except that ever since resolvconf was
installed the nameserver address returned by the DHCP server
seems to be being installed. My new /etc/resolv.conf is
coming up as:
# Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
#     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
nameserver 127.0.0.1
search cthulhu.dircon.co.uk

If I revert to the original interfaces file, /etc/resolv.conf is
# Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
#     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
nameserver 127.0.0.1

And if I then apt-get remove resolvconf and reboot then the original
resolv.conf with correct dhcp supplied nameserver (but no search) returns:
# generated by NetworkManager, do not edit!

nameserver 203.27.41.5

Any suggestions? I do like the idea of having any static nameserver
information in the /etc/network/interfaces file with the rest of
the network config, so resolvconf would be good if it worked as
expected....

Regards,
DigbyT