Re: Support for VESA Textmode 132x60

Ron Johnson wrote:
> > I'm seeking information on modern graphic cards (PCI, PCIe) that
> > support VESA BIOS mode 0x010C, a special text mode that works with
> > 132x60 characters.  Linux supports this mode when the graphics board
> > provides this particular mode.
> >
> > Unfortunately, not many of current video cards support this VESA mode,
> > thus the nice text mode is not available.
> >
> > Therefore, I have started a Wiki page to collect information on the
> > availability of this particular text mode in graphic cards:
> >
> >   <http://wiki.debian.org/TextMode_132x60>
> >
> > I hope this list is helpful for others who are interested in such a
> > text mode.
> >
> > If you work with a modern graphics card and have definitive knowledge
> > whether or not this mode is supported, it would be nice to drop me a
> > line or add that information to said page right away on your own.
>
> Can you remind us how to activate this "on-the-fly" with lilo (so
> that I don't have to edit /etc/lilo.conf?

Sure, just add 'vga=ask' to the kernel commandline.  Just press left or
right shift (both work), select the kernel and add the string.  The
kernel will then ask which VGA mode you'd like to use.  Once you know
the mode number you can safely add it to lilo.conf.

Regards,

	Joey

--
Let's call it an accidental feature.  -- Larry Wall