Re: Xen in Etch, basic setup

On Sun, Apr 06, 2008 at 06:17:53AM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
> Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
>> so far as I know, having shorewall turned off in
>> /etc/defaults/shorewall completely prevents it from running. So you
>> would be left with bog standard iptables setup -- wide open.
>
>     For the record this is indeed the case.  iptables -L showed nothing
> when I checked.

okay.

> > what does your Dom0 /etc/network/interfaces look like?
>
> {grey@teleute:/etc/network} cat interfaces
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> auto eth1
> iface eth1 inet static
>         address 192.168.1.21
>         netmask 255.255.255.0
>         gateway 192.168.1.1
>
> auto eth1:1
> iface eth1:1 inet static
>         address 192.168.1.1
>         netmask 255.255.255.0

why are you running multiple interfaces on eth1 like this? Is this
something you need?

I suspect it is part of the problem.

> #auto eth0
> #iface eth0 inet dhcp
>
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet static
>         address 69.68.200.5
>         netmask 255.255.255.128
>         gateway 69.68.200.1
> {grey@teleute:/etc/network}
>
>     The really funky thing is the last time I set the machine for bridge
> networking, just a few minutes ago, xenbr1 got eth1's IP and there was a
> xenbr1:2 which got eth1:1's IP.

I think you're trying to set up a firewall on this domU right? in that
case, leave eth0 unconfigured in the dom0 and configure it in domU
(you may have to do some funky stuff to get that to work, I'll look at
my config and see what I can remember.) and then let xen setup the
xenbr interface automatically. and breakdown that eth1 setup to just a
basic one (simplify, right?) and see what happens.