Re: Xen in Etch, basic setup

On Thu, 3 Apr 2008, Steve Lamb wrote:

> Hello,
>     Does anyone know of a web page that describes a basic setup of Xen in
> Etch?  I've seen several at howtoforge and each of them, while fairly
> simple, do not match my experience at all.  I follow the directions
> exactly and after a time what those directions say should appear and
> what actually does appear diverge wildly.
>
>     On the other end of the spectrum are the pages that the author of
> Shorewall has put up detailing his experiences with Xen and Shorewall.
> A fascinating read and one that I'll have to dig into later.  But it is
> no howto nor was it written with that intent.
>
>     Right now I've got Etch booting into Dom0 just fine.  Oddly enough my
> routing is working fine though I'm not quite sure why.  I have one DomU
> which boots fine but is unable to use the network.  When I attempt to
> bring up a bridge the networking to the outside world on Dom0 fails but
> local networking still works, DomU can see a network card but cannot
> connect to Dom0 or the rest of the local network.  Furthermore no bridge
> device shows up in ifconfig.  This is where my experience and those of
> the howtoforge authors seriously diverges.
>
>     What I would be content with, for now, is having both Dom0/DomU being
> able to speak to the rest of the local network.  With that I could at
> least work away from the console and flip configurations to where I
> could pull things off the internet with Dom0 acting as my router and
> then switch it to where DomU communicates so I can pull things across
> and continue my work.
>
>     Ideally I want to have the DomU machine act as the router/FW for my
> network, hence the interest in the Shorewall/Xen documents.

what options do you have in your xend-config.sxp? Do you have bridge-utils
installed?

some network options I use in my xend-config.sxp are:
(network-script network-bridge)
(network-script network-dummy)
(vif-script vif-bridge)

and in my domU configs i have something like this:
vif  = [ 'ip=10.1.2.94' ]

and I also have that same ip in a static config for networking in the
domU.

hth,
Jeff
--
8 out of 10 Owners who Expressed a Preference said Their Cats Preferred Techno.