Re: Xen in Etch, basic setup

On Fri, April 4, 2008 7:51 am, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 01:09:09AM -0800, Steve Lamb wrote:
> I think it does make some difference in that I don't specify an IP, my
> vif= lookslike this:

> dhcp = 'dhcp'
> vif  = [ 'mac=aa:00:00:00:00:22, bridge=xenbrDMZ' ]

> but I use dhcp.

    That'll be hard since the DomU is the one that's going to be running the
DHCP server.  But later on in the message you agree that this is
probably not it so we'll leave it at that.

> the other likely important bit is the made-up MAC
> address for the virtual interface. That fake mac address becomes the
> HwAddr in my DomU's ifconfig output. It looks to me like you are
> passing a real mac address which would cause all kinds of problems, I
> suspect.

    Nope.  From <http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenNetworking>:
"It's recommended to use a MAC address inside the range 00:16:3e:xx:xx:xx.
This address range is reserved for use by Xen."

    The MAC address I'm passing to DomU, 00:16:3E:BA:17:79, was generated by
xen-tools when the image was created and is within the range suggested
by Xen.

> the bridge will *not* end up with an IP. It will have a funcky hwaddr
> like FE:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF and that's it. The bridge just connects
> different ends of virtual interfaces and is not an interface itself,
> per se.***

    I'll double check that.  I think the bridge ending up with the IP was
the result of me really munging something somewhere.  I tried it again
later in the evening and did not get the same results.

> I have a working, 3 DomU xen setup with one as firewall, one as DMZ
> mail server, one as DMZ web server, Dom0 as local fileserver. This
> includes using pciback to hide my internet-side interface from Dom0. I
> would be happy to share my complete config if you'd like.

    I appreciate the offer but I'm swimming in complex example
configurations.  The lack of examples isn't a problem.  Something in the
process I am missing is.  I have to be missing something since my
configuration, especially this single ethernet card test, should work.
I can't find any glaringly obvious difference from the many examples
I've seen and my configurations.  Thank you for discussing it with me,
however, since sometimes just having a sounding board will get the ol'
synapses firing.  :)

--
Steve Lamb