Re: amd 690g chipset

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 02:04:37PM -0500, Russell L. Harris wrote:
> The system is Lenny on an i386 with
> a 1700 MHz Celeron and 1 Gb RAM, ASUS P4PE motherboard.
>
> The slow performance (nearly full processor utilization) occurs not
> only with iceweasel but also with galeon (2.0.4), on a variety of web
> sites.

It sounds like a problem with GTK (which both iceweasel and galeon use)
or a problem with the gecko engine (which both iceweasel and gelon use).

I'd suggest installing Konqueror.  You don't need to install the whole
KDE DTE, it will run fine if you want on Gnome, except that Gnome also
uses GTK.  Perhaps install a light-weight WM as a test bed (try icewm)
where you can run both iceweasel and konqueror.

I know that you like iceweasel and gnome, but on testing, it is helpful
to have an alternate installed for times when they are broken.  Updates
to Lenny take a while.

Doug.