Re: How to unmute the sound?

On Sun, Feb 17, 2008 at 09:33:14PM +0530, Kushal Kumaran wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 16:25:50 +0100
> Richard Lyons <richard@the-place.net> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Feb 17, 2008 at 06:11:52PM +0530, Kushal Kumaran wrote:
> >
> > > On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 12:39:12 +0100
> > > Richard Lyons <richard@the-place.net> wrote:
> > [...]
> > > >

> > > You add them to your modprobe command line, like so:
> > > modprobe snd-hda-intel model=5stack
> > >
> > > There is a list of supported models in
> > > Documentation/sound/alsa/ALSA-Configuration.txt in the linux source
> > > distribution.  I found an online copy at
> > > http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/sound/alsa/ALSA-Configuration.txt
> >
> > Ok.  My model number is not listed, but the only likely ones listed
> > are model=acer and model=acer-laptop.  I assume I need to restart
> > alsa after each experimental modprobe.  Or do I have to remove the
> > existing module first, or what?
> >

> You'll have to remove the module first, using modprobe -r.  Then reload
> the module with modprobe snd-hda-intel model=<your choice of model>

Oh thanks Kushal.  I'd worked that out in the mean time, and tried what
looked most likely.  Only then did I discover in dmesg this:
    hda_codec: Unknown model for ALC882, trying auto-probe from BIOS...
So now I know the model name and can see the known options from the URL
you gave me.  The obvious one there was
    3stack-dig  3-jack with SPDIF I/O
simply on the basis that I have three jacks on the front of the laptop.
I have no idea what SPDIF I/O is, but I tried it anyway, and alsamixer
then failed to load, saying:
    alsamixer: function snd_mixer_load failed: Invalid argument
So that was a no.  I suppose I can try all the alternatives, I guess it
an't do any harm.  There are only 9 more listed, though most sound
wrong.

--
richard