Re: How to unmute the sound?

On Sun, Feb 17, 2008 at 04:25:50PM +0100, Richard Lyons wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 17, 2008 at 06:11:52PM +0530, Kushal Kumaran wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 12:39:12 +0100
> > Richard Lyons <richard@the-place.net> wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > > How do you supply options to modules?  I could try it anyway.
> > >

> > You add them to your modprobe command line, like so:
> > modprobe snd-hda-intel model=5stack
> >
> > There is a list of supported models in
> > Documentation/sound/alsa/ALSA-Configuration.txt in the linux source
> > distribution.  I found an online copy at
> > http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/sound/alsa/ALSA-Configuration.txt
>
> Ok.  My model number is not listed, but the only likely ones listed are
> model=acer and model=acer-laptop.  I assume I need to restart alsa after
> each experimental modprobe.  Or do I have to remove the existing module
> first, or what?

Answering myself:  What I've tried is 'modprobe -r snd-hda-intel' followed
by 'modprobe snd-hda-intel model=acer'. And the same for the other one,
(which is acer-aspire not acer-laptop BTW).  In each case unmuted
'Front' and put volumes up etc in alsamixer.  But Amarok plays cds as
silently as ever, with or without the headphones.  So that doesn't solve
it.

--
richard